Monday, February 01, 2010

Musical musings

1) I don't know why I was so worried about a zombie apocalypse. I realized recently that an old childhood favorite of mine could easily have assuaged all my fears long ago if only I had listened to its message. I am, of course, refering to Zombie Jamboree as sung by Rockapella. According to Rockapella, zombies aren't the brain eating, bloody fingered, staggering monsters that Hollywood would have us fear. Instead they are a musical, rhythmical people who want nothing more than to dance on the Empire State building knocking conga drums and drinking rum. I shouldn't worry about being torn apart, instead I should practice my dance moves so we can get down together. Thanks, Rockapella!

(click here and skip to 2:37 to see old-timey Rockapella in all their mullet-headed, pastel shirt wearing glory)

2) My favorite song of 2009* is by far Say Hey (I Love You) by Michael Franti & Spearhead. It's true that this song loses quite a few point for repeatedly rhyming the word "you" with the daring choice of the word "you." That's why this phrase comes as such a surprise, and more than makes up for points previously lost:

Now I’m not a highly metaphysical man
But I know when the stars are aligned you can
bump into person in the middle of the road
look into their eyes and you suddenly know

From a song whose chorus is "my momma told me don't lose you/cause the best luck I had was you" one hardly expects to find a five syllable word, much less one that's as complex as 'metaphysical,' much less used in a sentence that actually kind of works. So, for the correct usage of that mammoth word, Say Hey (I Love You) wins my prize.

*I couldn't find the actual date this song was introduced to the world, so it could be from 2008. But I first heard it in '09, so that's the year it wins a prize for.


3) I've decided that what my life really needs is a soundtrack. I mean, watching movies and TV shows as much as I do, I have come to appreciate just how vital a soundtrack really is. Can you imagine Jaws or Psycho without the unforgettable music accompanying the contents of the films? Not as affective.

So, clearly in order for my life to be more awesome and memorable I really really need to have music to accompany all my actions, decisions, emotions, etc. Once there's music to go along with every car ride or phone call, my life will be complete. I just have to find an appropriate accompanist, and then I'll be all set.


3 comments:

Garrett B said...

I've always liked the idea of having "entrance music," the way a wrestler entering the ring has. I think my entrance song when I walked into a room would be something from Parliament.

M2QC said...

I love that song, too! Love, blog stalker Mary

POOTIE POOTWELL said...

Say Hey (I Love You) was introduced to the world on September 9, 2009 (a very auspicious release date). I have the entire CD plus 2 other MF&S releases - they are all magically delicious.