Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Car Santa

I was walking across a large parking lot one day after wearily wending my way in the name of the Census, when my eye was caught by something out of the ordinary. I turned to see what had grabbed my attention and noticed a young gentleman with a large plastic bag over his shoulder. At first I assumed he was taking out the trash, but he was zig-zagging between cars on his way. I thought that perhaps he was OCD or something, and was unable to go in a straight line. Then I noticed there didn't seem to be a dumpster anywhere in the direction he was heading, so I payed even closer attention. I realized that he was grabbing at car doors as he passed, and I thought maybe he was going to drive to wherever the dumpster was and kept trying to get in the wrong car (not that I do that all the time or anything), but he didn't get in any of them, he just kept trying new doors.


For one last fleeting moment my bewildered brain struggled with what I was seeing:
a man in a doo rag,


with a plastic garbage bag over one shoulder,


systematically tugging at car handles only to move on upon finding them locked.



Finally my brain put it all together. Clearly the only reasonable explanation for this strange sight was that I'd caught a rare glimpse of the elusive Car Santa Claus, going from car to car leaving little presents for all the good girls and boys. So be sure to leave your doors unlocked, because you never know when he'll be headed your way!



PS - If you were wondering, after watching this for a bit I went into the main office and reported Car Santa lest his actions prove to be less than worthy.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Lucky you! I hope he left a fun gift.

Dona said...

Amusing. We've been visited by the Car Grinch at least twice, but never the Car Santa.

Garrett B said...

I hope he was leaving doo rags. I can never seem to find mine when I need it.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahaha yesssssssss!
i love iT!
(from grace kelly. or yvonne. take your pick)

Lisa Sanderson said...

If you see him again, could you ask him to give me back my cell phone that he sold to some spanish speaking gentleman? It happened about a year ago in January I'm sure he remembers and it was an honest mistake...