Sunday, September 28, 2008

Two entries in one day - my, I'm wordy

As a result of my usual Sunday boredom, I've been sitting at my computer all afternoon. I have in my possession both Great Expectations and The Three Musketeers to enlighten my mind (or whatever), but really I can't be expected to read real live non-fluff books on a day like this. Actually, I can't really claim to have ever been into that kind of book, unless it was for bragging rights. "Yeah, I read Les Miserables and Ivanhoe. What of it? Doesn't everyone read classic literature for fun?" Okay, so Les Mis was abridged to like 300 pages, but I was only 12 or something, so that's almost like reading the real thing.

The reason for the aforementioned enlightening books is a list my sister sent me, almost like throwing down a gauntlet, asking how many of these supposedly NEA endorsed books I'd read. Sometime when I remember I'll post the list on here, although we've since decided that the list might not be legit based on the separate listings of Hamlet and The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. Apparently Hamlet isn't worthy of inclusion in Shakespeare's works. It's all that Ophelia's fault, crazy bi-otch.

But I digress. Rather than reading classic lit, or even Harry Potter or something, I've been web surfing. Too bad web surfing doesn't give you the same great bod as real surfing, or I'd be HOT! My cousin told me about a blog called Seriously, So Blessed that I've been meaning to get to, and I finally did. Holy. Freaking. Hilarious, Batman. I've been reading intently all afternoon. AND, to my extreme delight, that blog led me to others! It's been awesome! The only sad thing is, now I feel lame and stupid for not being nearly so clever. Maybe I should start reading some Jonathan Swift to get in a more cuttingly satirical frame of mind....

Anyhoo, here are the blogs that I'm now in love with:
Seriously, So Blessed
Pulsipher Predilections
The Blog Cabin
Bishop Higgins 3rd Ward - News for Mormons

The first blog does give me a little bit of a complex though. When I first came out to school here in Utah I was not so much appalled or shocked, but annoyed by the "Mormon culture" that is springing up into obnoxious cheesiness. But no matter how much I object to my religion becoming a culture as opposed to a faith, I'm pretty sure I've picked up on some of these idiosyncrasies and Seriously, So Blessed makes me painfully aware that I may be laughing at my own weaknesses. Yikes!

The last one is apparently a follower of my blog (maybe because I'm so ridiculously silly, like the girls Seriously, So Blessed makes fun of), and OH MAN it cracks me up. GOOD. TIMES.

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Susan, so I was at work, blogstalking of course, and came to your blog, and I see I'm one of your favorites!!! Holy cow! This is better than Christmas!

And now, I feel dumb, but I have seen your picture somewhere, and I couldn't figure out if I've seen it on TAMN's blog, or if you commented on mine. I went and looked through the last few posts, and didn't see it.

If you have commented on mine, I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me and still want to love me.

Anyway, stop by anytime! I will be reading you religiously!

susan said...

Well, I have to say that what drew me to your blog was your description of "Twilight". PERFECT. Then, of course, your dry humor kept me there.