Saturday, February 28, 2009

Quotation

Um, so while I've been reading lots of books lately, there have been none worth quoting sadly. Even Little Women - a book I've meant to read for years - I find it to be preachy and obnoxious. Even the worst of the characters, Amy (who I will always picture as a young and annoying Kirsten Dunst), is still pretty much perfect compared to the real world.

So instead, I'm quoting something from a recent Dave Barry article that I received in my email account. Dave Barry didn't actually write it, one of his fans did. But it still remains hilarious and relevant, so here it is:

Like many people, I am troubled by the part of ''Humpty Dumpty'' that goes: ''All the king's horses and all the king's men, couldn't put Humpty together again.'' Why does it mention horses? Does anybody seriously believe that if a bunch of horses saw a giant egg broken into pieces, their response would be: ''Hey! Let's try to reassemble this!''? Also, in ''Cinderella,'' are we really upposed to believe that the prince -- this guy who danced with Cinderella all night and wants to MARRY her -- believes that the only way he can recognize her is to make her TRY ON A SHOE? As if shoe is some kind of medieval DNA sample? So if Cinderella's foot swells up, the prince is going to ay: "Well, you LOOK exactly like the woman I love, but the shoe never lies!''

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I haven't read Dave Barry in years! Too funny!

bjohnston said...

I love the medieval DNA glass slipper idea. I used to make fun of other fairy tales and Disney cartoons. Sleeping Beauty was one--I mean she just can't control herself and has to touch that spinning wheel. Then Weston decided to taste the inside of a glo-stick this morning. Maybe those characters acting on seemingly riduculous impusles aren't so far off after all.