Monday, November 09, 2009

A few of my favorite things

In the spirit of the season, and to balance out the several posts about the things that terrify or worry me, I want to turn away from the Dark Side for a bit. You know, walk into the light. Put a little smile on my face. So this post is about 10 of the things that just tickle me pink, from shades of the palest blush (10) to downright pepto (1). Here's my grateful list:



10. Days off from school/work/responsibility. Heaven knows these are rare. Even on the days off you still usually have shopping, cleaning, whatever that needs to be done. So I'm talking the sleep in until 2pm, eat nothing but ice cream, and be generally lazy whilst swinging in the hammock days. Ahhhh....

Also pictured, my 11th favorite thing: cash money in the hand



9. Words like "swell" and "shucks" and "so's your old man" that harken back to an older era. I'm not sure why these please me so much, except for maybe that no one really uses them. I just love saying those, especially "swell."



8. Musicals. Okay, so I'm a closet Zac Efron fan. Not because of his girlie hair, but because I just love musicals! If I could have one wish, it would be to somehow be awesome enough to star on Broadway. Feel free to begin the mockery now.



7. 80s toys. This one's kinda obvious right, they bring me back to my childhood. One of my favorite places (I guess there would have to be another post for favorite places) is the loft of my grandmother's cabin, which is a veritable cornucopia of childhood memories. It's full of bins of Star Wars guys, He-Man guys, Strawberry Shortcake dolls, etc. Just the sight of those bins makes the 8 year old in me start jumping up and down.
So many potential battles and adventures for these toys are flooding through my head right now....



6. Ridiculous action movies. I know so many people with deep thoughts who enjoy deep and meaningful movies. Those people try to convince me to watch these movies with them to enlighten/enlarge my mind, but secretly I just really love me some Indiana Jones or original Star Wars. I don't care that the plots are crazy, the lines are actually quite lame, or that cars and boats and Nazis don't really explode that easily, I just love getting my blood pumped up and not having to think too hard about it.



5. Korean food. I have my sister Anna to thank for this, and the restaurant Sam Hawk to thank for keeping the love alive. Try the bibimpop sometime - you won't regret it!



4. Halloween. Not for the candy because that is always of questionable quality (I swear, some of those weird orange and black candies have just been circling from bag to bag for decades since no one ever eats them). I love the chance to dress up! And with Halloween, the crazier the costume the better! If LARP and Star Wars/Star Trek nerds play their cards right, this is even their chance to blend in like normal people.



3. The beauty of the earth. Seriously, this is the main reason I miss my camera so much; this place is just so dang pretty! My parents' back yard, which literally has wildlife (like moles apparently) roaming through it constantly, is always a little breathtaking. And every rainbow makes me stop and stare.

One of these I took from our deck and the rest were in Spain. Bet you can't guess which one was from the deck!



2. My ridiculous half-jawed dog. Okay, actually I hated this dog when she first came to live with us. She was spastic, crazy, stole food from our other dog, and because she's missing part of her jaw she was always sliming me. But now she generates hours of conversation for our family with the dumb things she does. Some of our best stories our about her and how she follows us around the house, is always finding neat stacks of paper and carefully lying right on top of them, and while she acts all fierce she always carefully avoids any real confrontation. Also, any time she gets too annoying we just throw an empty milk carton to the ground and laugh as she runs into walls trying to catch it!

Apparently this was her nefarious plan to keep my brother from serving a mission. FAIL! Or maybe she was just trying desperately to escape?



1. My awesome family. AW! Hugs guys!

(pictures stolen from Rachel's blog.)

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I've never really eaten a lot of Korean food. I do know I don't like kimchi.

Janell said...

The cabin also has awesome dress ups. I spent many an hour wandering the cabin in GG's old slips and costume jewelry.

the Lola Letters said...

Thanks for dropping by! It's always nice to find another closet SYTYCD fan! Love the half jawed dog!

MBK said...

Not to be at all critical, but that dog has all of it's jaw. IMPOSTER!!

Mattie demands clarification, retraction and justification.

david said...

what about bacon sandwiches? (ps before I could leave this comment, I had to write out "fendecto" - isn't that a harry potter spell? like, I have a tummy ache - FENDECTO?)

susan said...

OMGosh, bacon sandwiches should totally have been on the list. Um, maybe push Korean food off? I'm gonna have to do a retraction for this.