Thursday, January 07, 2010

AT LAST!

I have two "at lasts" to post about, both very exciting to me.

#1 - I posted last year about a kick-butt music video that my sister made (totally starring me, of course) and then waited with eagerness for the video to be posted online so I could show it off. And I waited... and waited... and AT LAST it's here! Hooray for Anna, filmstress extraordinaire! Prepare to be amazed by my music video debut (oh and I guess some other people were in it too):



#2 - I was sadly disappointed by 2009's supposed blockbuster movies, and you all had to hear about it ad nauseum. But finally finally came a movie that not only lived up to my expectations, but also exceeded them: Sherlock Holmes.Of course, it helps that my only "expectation" for the movie was that Dr. Watson (aka Jude Law) be stunningly good looking
(check plus!)
but still the movie rocked my socks AND the respective socks of my mother, father, brother and sister. It had all the characteristics of the Holmes stories I loved so dearly and read so voraciously (before I read the anti-Mormon A Study in Scarlet which left me a little cold):
  • the arrogant, but rightly so, Holmes; always not-so-subtly insulting the intelligences of the people around him (poor Lestrade!)
  • Holmes' habit of noticing seemingly inconsequential details and applying them to his vast data bank of obscure knowledge to come to a conclusion unreachable by mere mortals
  • Holmes' other habit of not telling anyone what he's noticed or deduced until the very end, leaving us holding our breaths with anticipation
  • Holmes' third habit of imbibing too much cocaine (!) - props to them for this, it was very subtly and comically done
  • Another Sherlock habit, that of using disguises to follow suspects; particularly Irene Adler who is only one of Holmes' nemeses that appeared in this movie

And then there was more. Gone was the subservient dog-like Watson, who seemed to only exist so that Holmes could have someone to be smug to. He was replaced with an intelligent and saucy Watson, and we were treated to a delightful bantering between the two all through the movie instead of just Watson's constant attempts to solve the mystery, and Holmes' constant condescending correction of Watson. We were also treated to a glimpse into Holmes' analytical mind AND some exciting violence as he planned out each brutal beating that he would give to the bad guys in slow motion, and then carried out that plan in normal speed. I don't remember Holmes getting into too many fights in the books, but this is definitely how he would do it.

I could go on and on about my rapturous feelings towards this awesome film, but you'd be bored. So I'll end by saying, kudos 2009 for finally getting one movie right!

I'm so happy to start the new year with two such fabulous "at lasts."

5 comments:

MBK said...

I am so proud of all of you that I could just burst! You are so beautiful....

Sarah F said...

Stella says, "I like this song! And I really like that girl with the blond hair." Since Stella-approved music is all we are allowed to listen to in the car, it looks like your song is a hit.

Lisa Sanderson said...

Where did David get that shirt!? That has to be the best music video I've ever seen. I love Mika! I want everyone to know that I'm related to everyone one of the actors in that film.

susan said...

I'm so glad this song has Stella's approval. She is clearly a young woman of class and taste.

As for David's shirt, I think Anna had it? I'm just so amazed still that we convinced him to wear it. I think he may have figured that no one would ever get around to actually putting the video up on youtube, mwa hahaha!

Judy said...

i LOVE the video. LOVE