Monday, January 12, 2009

A flair for the dramatic

My family is blessed with drama. Or cursed; those two words often seem synonymous (i.e. the Lord "blessed" me with the calling of Relief Society president, oh joy!). At any rate, we got plenty of drama floating around the Kearl household. I'm sure any cousins reading this can relate, because I know drama abounds in their homes as well. This Christmas, drama gave birth to something that I'm not sure words can do justice to; my sister Anna's music video.





(I stole this picture from Rachel's blog since my camera has been broken for several months now)




It turns out David (seen above in the homeless ballerina costume) isn't the only film genius in our family. Anna had a vision: to create a Kearl version of Mika's music video "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)". After all, some of us Kearl girls are big and beautiful, our brother Matthew is a shoe-in for the part of Mika, and with Rachel's camera skills - well it just had to be! We even had the added bonus of Cousin Claire (seen in front) joining us in time to make four beautiful girls and really give visual meaning to Mika's line, "You take your girl and multiply her by four, now a whole lot of woman needs a whole lot more!"

So, here's how things went. Anna approaches Matthew, Katie, and myself explaining what she wants us to do; namely for the girls to make their hair and makeup as BIG as possible and for Matthew to get his craziest, most Mika-est outfit together. Added to the big hair and makeup were all of Anna's 80s accessories. We're talking the big dangly earrings, wildly colored beaded necklaces, and even some legwarmers. Then the pièce de résistance: all of us in flamboyant heels (silver sequins for Katie, hot pink patent leather for me, etc). It was a visual delight.

Then Anna threw in her brilliant choreography. After carefully studying the lyrics (my one contribution other than my fine self was to print the lyrics - go me!) she crafted a masterpiece. This video includes Diet Coke, treadmill dancing, David in a ski cap and purple sweater pulled off the shoulder, "Mika" and the Big Girls swaying back and forth on our snowy back porch (a hilarious anecdote: our porch dancing kept making the CD skip - I guess we really are big girls!), etc.

Finally, Rachel provided the camera skills. Okay, well David and Rachel technically, since David had to show Rachel what all those intimidating buttons on her camera are for. But Rachel was impressive! She was all over; on top of the kitchen counters, swooping around corners, dancing along with the music. She even took some costuming initiative and fixed my hair from the sad mess that it was to some cute little buns. My hair was never meant to be teased (it just comes out like this), although Mom felt it should stay ratted and kept coming in and telling us we needed to channel more Amy Winehouse.

So as you can see, we have plenty of dramatic talent in the Kasa Kearl. I just hope we have enough follow through to make the music video more than some hilarious segments on Rachel's camera!

Yes, that was a challenge, Anna. I want to see my youtube debut!

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

What a fun project!

POOTIE POOTWELL said...

Oh - it's coming - don't you worry!