Sunday, January 04, 2009

Geeked out

Okay, so I've long been a closet geek. I don't mean to say that there aren't outward signs; I own a shirt from Wales that has a cool Celtic-esque dragon on it, and I did put my hair in little buns when my sister and I went to see one of the Star Wars movies. But I only wear a shirt with a dragon, I don't play Dungeons and Dragons. And I just did little buns (something many girls do every day), I didn't have "lightsaber" fights in the parking lot outside the theater. Mostly, I keep my inner-geek locked tightly away so no one can see that I secretly long to know masses of useless trivia about just how many bathrooms each incarnation of the Starship Enterprise has had, or to become an expert in dragonology. No one will ever know that I didn't cut my hair for four years with the intention of finally wrapping it in real buns and being Princess Leia for Halloween when I was a teenager.

UNTIL NOW.

Now, my inner geek is SO EXCITED about the upcoming Star Trek movie that she can no longer be contained. If I don't reign this in soon, you'll see me trekking around campus in a cape, medieval dress, and elf ears like that one girl I used to mock (but also secretly admire).

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I'm not very geeky, but I used to watch The Next Generation all the time, years ago.

The new movie does look good, I must say.

Lisa Sanderson said...

Join us my friend in the Freak Festival of the century. The annual Renaissance festival held in May in a rural area near Ogden. You get half off admission if you come in costume and most people enjoy speaking in what they fondly believe to be medieval linguistics. You may feast upon pirate grog and a turkey leg, watch juvenile bantering whilst jousting, and see supposed gypsy's doing slightly disturbing dancing. If you really want to take it to extremes, there is an after hour LARPing (live action role-playing) after dark that I have never seen but have heard tale of.

susan said...

Holy heck. That sounds AWESOME. I'm gonna start making my costume now. Oh wait, I can't sew. Well I'll start looking for pieces in DI at any rate.