Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Snow: Pros and Cons

The weather recently went mad and decided to try and kill us all with lovely sparkly snow. As I both cursed and stared entranced at the sparkliness of the falling snow, I realized that there was a conundrum inherent in the weather. I love and hate it, which is unacceptable. So I will now write a list to decide which emotion should be attached to snow once and for all.

PROS
  • As previously mentioned, it is sparkly. Okay, so I'm like that crazy bird in The Secret of Nimh and whenever I see sparkly things my eyes start getting all swirly and trippy. I can't help it!
  • It covers everything with lovely whiteness* and makes it all clean and pretty.
  • It's fun to make into snow creatures like snow people or giant octopuses... octopeds... squids.
  • It's also fun to make into forts where you store your cookies and sit giggling with your friends, until some dumb guy comes over and stomps the fort to pieces. Hmph.
  • Sledding rocks. It's teh greatest.
  • Snow reminds me of Canada and my mission, which I loved and sometimes miss.
  • It makes nighttime way brighter and easier to see.
  • You can throw your little dog in it and laugh raucously while she climbs her way out again.
  • You can reenact scenes from The Empire Strikes Back (providing you can find a Taun Taun to cut open).

CONS
  • *The whiteness that snow creates only lasts for a little while before becoming brownness or even grayness. Not so pretty.
  • Driving sucks. Your wheels suddenly forget how they're supposed to work and your car slides all wonky into the curb, other cars, or 5-foot ditches as a result. Plus, when you run over those little clumps of snow that fall off other cars they don't just puff away like snowballs do, instead they scrape across the underside of your car making noises like some foul demon from the underworld is using your car to help itself escape Hell.
  • It's so freaking cold and maybe some of us don't remember where our gloves are and don't want to buy more because we're cheap.
  • All the salt from the roads makes ugly gross stains on your jeans.
  • When your nose runs you can't feel it so you end up with a bisgusting frozen snot trail on your face.
  • Did I mention how much driving sucks?

Well, unfortunately that didn't actually help much. Sigh. I still can't decide whether I hate or love snow. I suppose I'll have to leave it as a baffling mystery and move on with life.

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

The cons WAY outweigh the pros.

Judy said...

don't forget making tiny snowmen. that's definitely a pro.

here's my take on snow: as long as i don't have to actually go out into it, snow rocks. from inside, i am totally pro. sadly, i often have to leave the house. when i'm outside (for any reason other than to play in said snow) i am firmly anti-snow.

hope that helped clear things up! hehe.

susan said...

Hahaha, yes you've both helped immensely. Until summer that is, and then I'll start thinking fondly of the sparkles and how it really isn't *that* bad. And I'll be cursing the heat... then I'll be posting about Heat: Pros and Cons.