Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Book quotation of the week

Well, I think I skipped a week, but who said it was an *every week* thing? Anyway, I've been thoroughly uninspired lately by the books I'm reading and so have been watching more brain-melting TV in my spare time, but when I can muster up the will I've been reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (absolutely no quotes to be had) and The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin (is that name not awesome? I submit that it is). This quote is all Ursula's:
"Is there really no distinction between men's work and women's work?"
"Well, no, it seems a very mechanical basis for the division of labor, doesn't it? A person chooses work according to interest, talent, strength - what has the sex to do with that?"
"Men are physically stronger."
"Yes, often, and larger, but what does that matter when we have machines? And even when we don't have machines, when we must dig with the shovel or carry on the back, the men maybe work faster - the big ones - but the women work longer.... Often I have wished that I was as tough as a woman."
"But the loss of everything feminine - of delicacy - and the loss of masculine self-respect - You can't pretend, surely, in your work, that women are your equals? In physics, in mathematics, in the intellect? You can't pretend to lower yourself constantly to their level?"
"I don't think I pretend very much."

1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

I love mind melting TV! It's my favorite!