Monday, October 06, 2008

Sleepless nights, fondest of memories.

So Sunday I again experienced the usual sense of ennui brought on not because the Sabbath stops me from going out and partying - I don't do that anyway. Instead I think it's just the idea that even if I wanted to party I couldn't, so I feel this grudging boredom. The result is that I spend ridiculous amounts of time online doing dumb stuff.

This Sunday I found the best thing ever. Or at least so far. The oldschool DOS computer game, Castle Adventure. It involves an adventurer trapped in a castle with ogres, spiders, and fairies galore; as well as thirteen hidden treasures and a whole bunch of useless artifacts masquerading as treasures. The goal is to kill the beasts, gather the treasures, and figure a way out of the castle. The game features such awesome graphics as the following:

This is the castle itself. It's got pretty sweet pinstriping.

This is you - that's right, you're a clover. Or maybe a spade?

These are bushes and a fountain. I miss the 80s.

This person sucked, I must say. I kicked the game's butt. I killed all the monsters (the spider played by an asterisk, the ogres played by weird smiley faces), found all the treasures, and avoided all the traps. I pretty much rock.

Except it took me like 4 hours! Okay, so I sort of rock. But it sure was fun remembering how we played that game so intently as kids, cursing the mysterious riddles and tricky traps until we finally won. So good.

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Can I just say that I love the fact that you used the word "ennui."

And that game looks pretty sweet.

susan said...

I love the fact that when I use the T9 function on my phone to text and I start typing "enough" the word "ennui" comes up as an option. Because apparently the following sentence is used a lot:

Omg, lol, ur so hotz. I'm ttly suffering ennui.