Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolutions. Also, book quotation.

This week's quote comes from what *should* be the official guide to womanhood, Bridget Jones' Diary. It also leads me right into my resolutions for the new year, since I'm picking a quote from BJ's resolutions. I have a feeling this book will lead to many weekly quotes.
I WILL NOT
Waste money on: pasta makers, ice-cream machines or other culinary devices which will never use; books by unreadable literary authors to put impressively on shelves; exotic underwear, since pointless as have no boyfriend.

Sulk about having no boyfriend, but develop inner poise and authority and sense of self as woman of substance, complete without boyfriend, as best way to obtain boyfriend.
There were quite a few more that were actually applicable to my life, but these ones made me laugh and so they were the ones quoted. For those of you (females, that is) who haven't read this book, DO IT. So. Freakin. Hilarious. Best $14 I ever spent on a book (which I then perused, crossing out all the swearwords and writing nicer words in pen so I could lend it to my more virtuous friend. Yes, I defaced and CENSORED a book!). But I'll write more about my BFF Bridget later.

Today is also about resolutions. I've made many over the years, most of them unkept. Oh like you're any better, don't even give me that! This year I'm hoping that making them public (to the three people that actually read this) will make me more accountable. Here goes!!
  1. I will get more healthy. It's not enough to eat sporadically and say that that means I'm eating less. I actually need to exercise and eat like a normal person! That will be miraculous since it will be undoing about 15 years of habit, but I know it's possible!
  2. I will start reading my scriptures every day again. Right now, I have no clue where they are. But I will find them and get back to the good stuff.
  3. I will be nicer. Bridget wrote about how she would stop bitching about people behind their backs and be positive instead. I'm going to try that too. I'm sure daily scripture reading will help!
  4. I will stop killing plants. It's time to accept that my thumb is not anything like green and stop buying those stupid mini-rose bushes no matter how much I love them (and I really really love them!), because all that happens is they die long, slow, tragic deaths and I'm sad until the next bunch goes on sale at Smith's. End the circle of death!
  5. I will be nicer to my family, whom I love. Is that how you use whom?* It's somehow easier to be mean to the people you love because you feel like they can't just leave you, but I will show them how much I love them through kindness and not impatience. (Check most of them out in this awesome Christmas video!)
  6. * I will learn the proper usage of words like "whom" and "resounding" so that when I use them in my blog, I'm not paranoid and nervous that I'm a grammatically challenged fool, but rather am full of confidence in my Webster's-like prowess (I will also learn the proper usage of "prowess" just in case).
I think those are maybe good for now. A few good, solid, achievable goals for the new year. Look out, 2009: HERE'S SUSIE!!!

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I haven't read the book, but I LOVE the movie.

Happy 2009!!

Sarah F said...

Whom is the pronoun in its objective case and who is in the subjective case. The clause in question employs "I" as its subject, so "whom" is correctly written in an objective case. That is your Christmas present from me. I expect that it will resound within you throughout 2009.

I only wish everyone would make grammar-related resolutions. What a well-spoken world this would be!